Timothy B. ThorntonOf Counsel
Timothy B. Thornton is experienced in all aspects of trusts and estates law, including financial and estate planning, drafting of trusts, wills and other instruments for wealth transfer, elder law, and probate and administration of estates and trusts. His area of concentration is planning for the orderly and tax efficient transfer of wealth during life, and after, by providing trusted guidance to individuals and their families.
Tim is a Fellow with The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC). All ACTEC members have made substantial contributions to the field of trusts and estates law through lecturing, writing, teaching, and bar leadership activities, and are elected to the College by demonstrating the highest level of integrity, commitment to the profession, and competence as trust and estate counselors. He is also a former chairperson of the 5000 member Trusts and Estates Law Section of the New York State Bar Association.
Tim has represented numerous CEOs and professionals, business owners and their families, as well as many local and national trust companies. He works collaboratively with his clients throughout the estate planning process and maintains ongoing relationships with his clients and their families.
Tim is admitted to practice in the State of New York and in the United States District Court, Northern District. He joined McNamee Lochner P.C. in 1970 and has been a principal since 1975. He served as Chairman of the firm’s Trusts and Estates Department for more than 20 years.
J.D., Albany Law School of Union University, 1970
Albany Law Review, Recent Decisions Editor
A.B., Union College, 1967
New York State Bar Association—Trusts and Estates Law Section
former chairperson, former chair of that section’s committee on legislation and former editor of that section’s newsletter
The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
one of three Fellows elected from Albany, former Temporary Upstate Chair
Estate Planning Council of Eastern New York
New York Bar Foundation
Non-Profit Racing Association Oversight Board
former member, appointed by Governor Pataki in 2004
Union College, Annual Business Campaign
Chairperson, Co-Chairperson, or Honorary Chairperson since 1997
St. Andrews Society of Albany
- "The Spouse's Right of Election in New York: Problems and Case Studies" chapter, Inside the Minds:Strategies for Trusts and Estates in New York, 2012 edition, Aspatore Books, December 2011
Click here for a full list of publications by Timothy B. Thornton.
- Participant in numerous Bar Association and professional educational seminars as both a speaker and chairperson.
- Church Property Disputes, Albany Law Review, Volume 33, No. 2, page 388
- Provisional Remedies in New York Reappraised Under Sniadach v. Family Finance Corp.: A Constitutional Fly in the Creditor’s Ointment, Albany Law Review, Volume 34, No. 2, page 426
Click here for a full list of lectures by Timothy B. Thornton.
- Named a Super Lawyer in the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017 Upstate New York Editions of Super Lawyers magazine for Estate Planning & Probate, Trust & Estate litigation, and Real Estate.
- Martindale Hubbell - AV Preeminent Rated
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America since 1989.
- Listed in the International Who’s Who of Professionals