Leonard A. WeissOf Counsel
Judge Leonard Weiss joined the firm in 1994 as Special Counsel. Concentrating on alternate dispute resolution, Judge Weiss is a mediator and arbitrator, and is a judicial hearing officer for the New York State Supreme Court. He is a charter member of the New York Academy of Mediators & Arbitrators (NYAMA), an association of mediators and arbitrators distinguished by their hands-on experience in the field of civil and commercial conflict. Check his calendar online for mediation and arbitration availability.
In 1977, Mayor Erastus Corning II appointed Mr. Weiss as a Justice of the City Court of Albany and that same year Judge Weiss was elected to a full term as the nominee of all four major political parties. In 1978 he was elected as Justice of the Supreme Court as a candidate of all political parties. In 1981, Governor Hugh L. Carey designated Judge Weiss to serve on the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court, Third Department. Three years later, Governor Mario M. Cuomo appointed Judge Weiss as an Associate Justice. In 1992, Governor Cuomo appointed Judge Weiss the Presiding Justice of the Appellate Division, Third Department. Judge Weiss was elected as Chairman of the Albany County Democratic Committee in 1994, and retired from the Court.
In 1998, Gov. George Pataki appointed Judge Weiss to a term as commissioner on the New York State Public Service Commission.
Judge Weiss has been appointed to serve in Supreme Courts as a judicial hearing officer.
Judge Weiss is admitted to practice in the State of New York and the U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York.
L.L.B., Albany Law School of Union University, 1948
University of Oregon/University of Buffalo, 1946
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 1948
Third Judicial District, Supreme Court, State of New York
Judicial Hearing Officer
National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, New York Chapter
Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany, Catholic Charities
Albany City Lodge Federal Credit Union
Association Justices of Supreme Court
College of Saint Rose
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
Past Honorary Fire Chief
Community State Bank
Past Board of Directors
Knights of Pythias, State of New York
Past Grand Chancellor
New York State Bar Association
Judicial Council, Member
Temple Israel of Albany
- 2800 Published Decisions Official Reports, Appellate Division and Supreme Court, State of New York
- Albany County Bar Association, Albany Law School, and American Inns of Court - sponsors of Continuing Legal Education sessions
- College of Saint Rose and Albany High School - commencement speaker
- Albany Law School Award Distinguished Alumni in Government
- Association of Justices of Supreme Court Award for Judicial Excellence and Leadership
- College of Saint Rose Honorary Degree Doctor of Laws
- Covenant Award B'nai B'rith Gideon Lodge
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association Felix J. Aulisi Award for Judicial Excellence
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association Lifetime Achievement Award
- U.S. Army, 1943 to 1945
At McNamee Lochner P.C.s 150th Anniversary, Albany Attorneys Toast Popular Legal Icon, May 26, 2013, New York Law Journal