Bruce J. WagnerShareholder
Bruce joined the firm in 1987, has been a principal since 1994, and chairs the firm's Matrimonial and Family Law Department. He also has a successful statewide appellate practice before the Appellate Divisions and the New York Court of Appeals. In January 2005, he began a two-year term as President of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, New York Chapter. From 2010 to 2012, Bruce served as Chair of the 2,700 member Family Law Section of the New York State Bar Association. In October 2016, he was selected by his peers to become a Diplomate of the American College of Family Trial Lawyers. Formed in 1993, the American College of Family Trial Lawyers (AFCTL) comprises a select group of 100 family law trial lawyers from across the United States.
He is a former Town Justice for the Town of Schodack, Rensselaer County, having been elected in 2002 and re-elected in 2006, 2010 and 2014, choosing not to run for a 5th term in 2018. He served as a faculty member for the Advanced Judicial Education programs for Town and Village Justices from 2005 to 2011.
Bruce's court admissions include: the United States District Court, Southern District of New York (1989) and Northern District of New York (1986); United States District Court, District of Massachusetts (1987); State of New York (1986); and Commonwealth of Massachusetts (1985).
J.D., Albany Law School of Union University, 1985
B.A, Cornell University, 1982
United States District Court, Northern , 1986
United States District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1987
State of New York, 1986
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1985
American College of Family Trial Lawyers
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
New York Chapter, Certified Fellow, 1992 to date, President, 2005 to 2007
New York State Bar Association
Statewide Co-Chair of Continuing Legal Education for the Family Law Section, 2000 to date, Chair, Family Law Section, 2010 to 2012
International Academy of Family Lawyers
Certified Fellow, 2003
Rensselaer County Magistrates' Association
President, 2010-2011 and 2014-2015
NYS Office of Court Administration Advisory Committee on Matrimonial Practice
1998 to present.
NYS Office of Court Administration Third Department Judicial Hearing Officer Selection Advisory Committee
2015 to present.
Boy Scout Troop 53, Castleton
Assistant Scoutmaster or Committee Member, 2002 to present
Twin Rivers Council, Boy Scouts of America
Merit Badge Counselor, 2002 to present
First United Methodist Church, East Greenbush
Choir Director, 2010 to 2017
Hendrick Hudson Male Chorus, East Greenbush
Conductor, 1989-2003 and 2010-2017
- Arthur v. Galletti, 2019 Westlaw 4769698 (2019)
- Matter of Ryan XX. v. Sarah YY., 2019 Westlaw 4308050 (2019)
- DiBella v. DiBella, 161 AD3d 1239 (2018)
- Wallace v. Wallace, 154 AD3d 1078 (2017)
- Allard v. Allard, 145 AD3d 1254 (2016)
- Matter of Noel v. LePage, 133 AD3d 1129 (2015)
- Matter of Vanita UU v. Mahender VV, 130 AD3d 1161 (2015)
- Matter of Greene v. Robarge, 104 AD3d 1073 (2013)
- Rinzler v. Rinzler , 97 AD3d 215 (2012)
- Halse v. Halse, 93 AD3d 1003 (2012)
- Mairs v. Mairs, 61 AD3d 1204 (2009)
- Matter of Spencer v. Spencer, 10 NY3d 60 (2008)
- Howard v. Howard, 45 AD3d 944 (2007)
- Matter of Welch v. Welch, 39 AD3d 910 (2007)
- Golub v. Ganz, 22 AD3d 919 (2005)
Lectures in the areas of recent decisions; child support and maintenance; tax considerations and cash flow; and decision writing:
- Albany, Broome, Nassau, Onondaga, Oswego, Rensselaer, Queens, Schenectady, and Westchester County Bar Associations, New York City Bar Association
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, NY Chapter
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Judicial Institute (Judicial Seminars)
- New York State Office of Court Administration
- Authors monthly column, “Matrimonial Update” for Albany County Bar Association Newsletter, May 2011 to present.
- Editor, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers NY Chapter Bulletin, August 2015 to present.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rated
- The Best Lawyers in America, all editions, 1999 to present
- Named one of the Top 10 attorneys in Upstate New York Super Lawyers 2018
- Named a Super Lawyer in the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 Upstate New York Editions of Super Lawyers magazine.
- Catherine Crier (Court TV)
- People Magazine
- News Channel 13 (Albany)
- New York Law Journal
- Times Union (Albany)